Driving in Jackson Hole
Do I need a car?
If you are staying in Teton Village, you will inevitably travel to downtown Jackson to shop and dine. If you are staying in town, you will need transportation to and from Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. Both types of trips can be taken on the public bus system - START (Southern Teton Area Rapid Transit) Bus. A cheap and efficient way to travel around the valley, a one-way trip from downtown Jackson to Teton Village costs $3 per person.
If you want to visit Teton National Park or other locations out of town, Skedaddle is the easiest way to get there. Skedaddle lets you start or join professionally driven bus routes wherever the road takes you. Whether traveling with friends or making new friends along the way, Skedaddle will get you there by matching you with other riders going the same direction.
If you decide to rent a car, you should know:
- Jackson Hole's abundant snow sometimes makes for stormy driving conditions.
- Teton Village has multiple fee paying parking lots, there is a free park and ride bus system in addition to free parking for car pool vehicles with 3 or more (in the Ranch Lot only)
- The town of Jackson provides free parking, but does not allow parking overnight on the roadways due to plowing vehicles.
- The valley is flat, so unless you are planning a trip to Grand Targhee Resort over Teton Pass, it is not necessary to rent a 4WD vehicle. Discuss your itinerary with the rental car company.
Parking Details for Teton Village:
PAID Parking: Nov. 24, 2018-April 7, 2019.
FREE Parking: April 8, 2019-Nov. 22, 2019. Overnight parking is for hotel guests ONLY throughout the whole year. Holiday/Peak pricing will be in effect from Dec. 22, 2018-Jan. 6, 2019 and weekends thereafter until March 17: $30 for the inner lots (Village, Crystal Springs, Cody) and $15 for the Ranch lot. All other daily pricing is as follows:
Ranch Lot: $10 6:30 am-1:00 pm or free carpooling with 3+ people in the same car.
Village Lot: $20 6:30 am-1:00 pm; $10 1:00 pm-3:00 pm (Base Village)
Crystal Springs Lot: $20 6:30 am-1:00 pm; $10 1:00 pm-3:00 pm (Mid Village)
Cody Lot: $20 6:30 am-1:00 pm; $10 1:00 pm-3:00 pm (Upper Village)
Free parking (600 spaces) at Stilson Lot with free shuttles to and from Teton Village
- The shuttles run during peak demand: 6 to 9:30 a.m. and 3 to 6:30 p.m.
- START's Red, Yellow and Green Line buses combined offer 70 roundtrip runs daily between Stilson and Teton Village between 5:30 a.m. and midnight
- Carpools of 3 or more passengers always park for free in the Ranch Lot
Free Short-term and ADA Accessible parking is available throughout Teton VillageCOMMON QUESTIONS
Answered by Jim Terry, President of the Teton Village Association
How do the shuttles work?
The Stilson Lot has a heated transit center with restrooms. During peak morning and evening hours, there are free shuttles paid for by TVA. Bring your own mug for free coffee in the morning. START's Red, Yellow and Green Line buses combined offer 70 roundtrip runs daily between Stilson and Teton Village between 5:30 a.m. and midnight. TVA also operates FREE and frequent shuttles between the Ranch Lot and the Tram.
I have a family. How can I possibly manage on the bus?
TVA encourages families to participate in all activities at Teton Village. With this in mind, TVA invites any car with 3 or more occupants to park for free in the Ranch Lot. In addition, JHMR offersa shuttle bus for children enrolled in Saturday camps Stilson to save a "drop off" car journey in the morning. More details will be sent about this to enrolled camp families.
Is there free parking in Teton Village?
Yes free parking exists for the following situations. Hotel guests, short term, handicap, and carpools with 3 or more passengers per car can park for free in the Ranch Lot.
I live/stay along the Village Road. Do I have to drive south in order to access the Village?
Village Road residents are encouraged to take the bus from the Aspens or Calico-Q Roadhouse. Or carpool.
Are there parking passes?
Yes, winter parking passes cost $549 for the Ranch Lot or $999 for the Village, Cody and Crystal Springs lots. Passes are sold at Teton Village Sports and Hoback Sports starting in October.
Punch cards are also available for purchase the the Village parking booths. Please note: passes are not ready the same day as the online purchase. Buy Now
- All Lot Season Pass – $999
- Ranch Lot Season Pass – $549
- 10-Day All Lot Punch Card: $200 (blackout dates apply)
- 10-Day Ranch Lot Punch Card: $100 (blackout dates apply)
- 5-Day All Lot Peak/Holiday Punch Card: $150 (valid any day)
- 5-Day Ranch Lot Peak/Holiday Punch Card: $75 (valid any day)
We understand the frustration and questions when paid parking exists in only one part of our county. However mostly when people understand the reasoning behind it, they understand. We are doing our part to reduce traffic on the village road and reduce CO2 emissions in our county, by rewarding using mass transit and encouraging car pooling. Price rises are only being enacted as we are still reaching critical overflow on too many days during the winter.